Sunday, October 17, 2010

Drugstore Mascaras

I'm always on the hunt for the perfect mascara, and although I've found a few that I really like (MUFE Smoky Lash, Bourjois Volume Clubbing Mascara, L'oreal Voluminous) I am always wanting to try more because its so easy to go through a tube, and because mascara adds so much to a makeup look.

So over the past month or so, I have been testing out a few mascaras that I picked up at the drugstore. 


The first one I tried was the Rimmel Waterproof Sexy Curves. 




I got this for a vacation, and because I had heard such good things about the original Sexy Curves that I thought this mascara was going to be amazing. Perhaps the waterproof formula is different than the original, but I hated this mascara. When I first opened the tube, it felt like there was hardly any product on the wand. The formula is very dry and hard to work with, it is one of those that never completely dries, and after spending far too long trying to coat my lashes with the product, my eyelashes were not extraordinarily curled at all. The brush is plastic and tugs at my eyelashes - it also hurts like hell when you prick yourself in the eye with this. I definitely do not recommend this mascara. 

Slightly disappointed, but not discouraged I also tried L'oreal's Telescopic in Carbon Black, which is another drugstore mascara that is celebrated in the beauty community. 



Out of all the ones i tried, this mascara gives the best lengthening effect. Unlike the sexy curves, this plastic brush was extremely easy to work with, and because its so thin it is great for going behind the lashes and getting those hard to reach places. Although it gives you amazingly long lashes, it is not so great at thickening your lashes. I think this mascara would be really good to layer under another, more volumizing mascara. 

Another L'oreal mascara I tried was the Bare Naturale. This, is supposedly Jennifer Love Hewitt's holy grail mascara, so I thought I'd give it a go. 

             
This mascara definitely does what the name implies - gives you really pretty, natural lashes. There's absolutely no clumping with this mascara, and your lashes look really separated and full after one coat. The thing I like most about this one is that it doesn't feel like you have mascara on - no hard, crunchy lashes. This mascara gives you your lashes, but better; it's perfect for minimal makeup days and natural looks. 

I also tried Maybelline's The Falsies mascara. 



The best thing about this mascara is the brush. It's a curved brush that is fatter on one side and thin on the other. Something about this makes the application feel so nice. You can use the thin side to apply the mascara, especially to the harder to reach areas, and then use the fat side to brush it through. Amazing! And great for those people who end up getting mascara all over their eyes (me). Overall the formula is good, it gives you nice thick, separated lashes, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. 

My favorite of the bunch was this one 



This is Revlon's 3D extreme mascara, and it is one that I just picked at random. I wasn't expecting it to be very good, or for me to like it as much as I do, but I guess you should never judge a mascara by it's tube. 

This mascara does it all - lengthens, volumizes, and separates. After one coat my eyelashes look dramatically fuller and thicker, and after two coats I've got eyelashes that people notice and compliment me on - which is rare because I have short, little asian eyelashes. The brush is tiny, and is shaped sort of like a spiral, wider on the bottom and tapered at the top. I don't know how this little stubble of a brush works - but it does. I love this mascara and I would definitely recommend it!

What's your favorite mascara?

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of the Bare Naturale mascara, it looks like it has a good brush...I may try the Falsies too, i like the idea of a curved brush! I'm using High Impact by Clinique at the moment but want to try Projectionist by Estee Lauder next xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!