Sunday, April 17, 2011

Standout Skincare

My skincare routine is always changing. Although there are a few products I love that will always remain in my regimen, I also like to swap in new products with the hope of getting my skin in the best condition it can be in. 

My skin isn't what a lot of people would call terrible. I have my good and bad days, but most of the time my skin is generally okay. I do get an occasional spot or two, but the main issues I have with my skin are with the texture, oiliness in my t-zone, and blackheads. All along my t-zone I have these tiny little bumps; I have no idea what they are (I am thinking they are whiteheads), but they are impossible to get rid of or cover up. The products I have used to date have been enough to keep those pesky bumps in check, but I am still on the hunt for that miracle product (ideas?).
Playing around with skincare is fun because it is almost like a DIY science experiment - with time you figure out which products work with your skin. So here are a few products that I feel have really contributed to the current upkeep of my skin.

St Ives Apricot Scrub
If there's one thing I like rough, it's my facial scrub O.O. I know a lot of people might not agree, but my skin is not overly sensitive and I only use this about once a week. This apricot scrub does such an amazing job at getting all the dead skin cells off to reveal the new, healthy skin underneath. It makes my skin so smooth and it is also unbelievably helpful in reducing the number and visibility of my blackheads. The tub is huge and is so inexpensive - I don't think I will ever feel the need to try a different facial scrub.

CVS Purifying Mint Masque
This mint masque, which I think is the CVS version of the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, works wonders. I use this about once a week after I use the apricot scrub, and it does exactly what it says on the tube. As I mentioned before I have an oily t-zone, so when I use this I can see the exact spots along my nose where the mask is drawing out the excess oils in my skin. Even though it is really good for oily skin, it doesn't dry out the rest of my skin; it actually makes it really smooth and fresh feeling. 

CVS Daily Acne Control spot treatment
Another CVS product, but in this case I don't really have a preference - any benzoyl peroxide treatment will do. I bought this because it was cheap, and didn't think much of it. One day I decided to use it on my blackheads, a form of acne, and it was the first time that my nose seemed to be cleared of blackheads. I use this stuff all the time now, it really works. 

Walgreens Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream
Alpha hydroxy acids are compounds that remove the top layers of dead skin cells and can also thicken the deeper layers of skin, promoting firmness. This might sting if you have sensitive skin, because it stings me a little when I put it on. It is a really runny cream so you only need a small amount to cover your entire face. When you have blackheads or other forms of acne, exfoliation is key and I like this because it is an exfoliant that works while I sleep and that I can use everyday. 

Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream
I bought this moisturizer because it seems like it would be really good for combination skin. It is really hydrating and doesn't clog pores. It really makes your skin look and feel smoother, which is why it works well as a foundation primer. You get a good amount of product in one tube, and I really like the practical packaging. If you do buy Dermalogica products, make sure to check on Amazon first because it is a lot cheaper than their actual website! 

I hope that was helpful, or at least interesting. Let me know what your favorite skin care products are!

13 comments:

  1. I have tried the Dermalogica Skin smoothing a while back and i forgot how lovely it actually is.. And You're right.. It would make an amazing primer..

    Thanks so much for the post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use all of the first 3 products that you mentioned. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love St Ives Apricot Scrub. For me, its a beauty must have!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the St Ives Apricot scrub! Love your blog also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the Alpha Hydroxy help diminish post acne marks?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sana - I have noticed a slight brightening of my overall complexion and my acne marks are less noticeable, but nothing too dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to try every single of these products :) Especially the dermalogica one! My favourite skin care are Avene products, La Roche Posay and Embryolisse Lait crème concentré as a moisturizer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely going to try out the St. Ives scrub after reading this. I've been meaning to give their products a go for a while now x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try out an Alpha Hydroxy based product - I've heard such good things about them! Just need to find a good brand in the UK.

    & I've been meaning to buy Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque for years haha. I think it's time to take the plunge!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the St. Ives scrub! I really want to try the Queen Helene Mint Julep masque, but they don't sell it in the UK :/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I saw your post on skincare on the birchbox blog. I think you have a very similar skin type as me ... thanks for the helpful product suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. (Alpha Hydroxy face cream)
    This Cream is not available in pakistan,
    I want to Buy this cream,
    Please Contact me,
    Contact:+923034699599
    Email:Tasawarh425@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!